Project updates and the latest construction information are posted here:
Who: The City has hired LC Paving and Sealing, Inc., as the contractor to build this project.
What: This project includes reconfiguring the intersection and traffic signals to allow for a second left turn lane for vehicles traveling north on Gene Autry Trail who want to go west on Vista Chino and vehicles traveling south on Gene Autry Trail who want to go east on Vista Chino.
During construction left turns WILL NOT be allowed on:
- Westbound Vista Chino to southbound Gene Autry Trail
- Northbound Gene Autry Trail to westbound Vista Chino
Left turns WILL be allowed on:
- Southbound Gene Autry Trail to eastbound Vista Chino
- Eastbound Vista Chino to northbound Gene Autry Trail
Starting Wednesday, May 8, 2019, traffic lanes will be REDUCED from TWO LANES to ONE LANE in all directions.
It is HIGHLY ADVISED that you AVOID THE INTERSECTION and find ALTERNATE ROUTES for your commute during this construction.
When: The contractor will begin construction on Monday, May 6, 2019 and the project is scheduled to be substantially complete by the middle of June, with the full completion scheduled for the end of June.
Where: Intersection of Gene Autry Trail and Vista Chino. All work is being done within Caltrans right-of-way.
- For northbound Gene Autry Trail who would usually turn left to go westbound on Vista Chino, we suggest commuters take Ramon Road to Farrell Drive.
- For westbound Vista Chino who would usually turn left to go southbound on Gene Autry Trail, we suggest taking a right onto Executive Drive to the traffic signal at Via Escuela, and then take a left at the signal to southbound Gene Autry Trail.
- Avoid using Via Escuela between Gene Autry Trail and Farrell Drive as a detour route as the speed limit is 25 mph and there are traffic calming speed humps throughout this residential area.
- From the I-10 freeway, use the Bob Hope Drive exit to get to Ramon Road, or the Monterey Avenue exit to Dinah Shore to drive into Palm Springs.
Expect Delays: As this is already a very busy intersection, please be advised to expect significant delays to get through this intersection throughout the construction period. As the construction proceeds, additional lanes will be opened to thru traffic, as it is safe to do so. Plan for alternate routes to avoid this intersection whenever possible. The construction is anticipated to be complete by the end of June.
Final Lane Configurations:
Questions, Comments & Concerns: If you have any questions, comments, and/or concerns regarding this project, please call the project voicemail at (760) 961-5142. When you call with your concern, please leave in your message, your name, the location of your concern and a way we can contact you (phone or email). All calls will be logged in and tracked for our response, and all calls will be responded to within 24 hours.
This project is paid for by Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) Federal Funds and Local Measure A Funds.