On March 15, 2017 the City Council adopted Ordinance No.1918 amending and restating of the Palm Springs Municipal Code relating to Vacation Rentals. The Ordinance No. 1918 goes into effect on April 16, 2017. More details about the roll-out of the new requirements will be available in the upcoming weeks. For a copy of the Ordinance No.1918 please see below.
Ordinance No.1918 - Click Here
For question please Contact Vacation Rental Compliance Department.
On January 18, 2017, the City Council approved a Resolution recognizing Home-sharing Program as a unique category of Vacation Rentals in the City of Palm Springs and establishing a registration fee for Home-sharing of $225. Home-sharing (like Vacation Rentals) is for stays of 28 consecutive days or less. The Owner resides at the Home-sharing Property, and rents a room(s) from time to time. The Owner must live-on site throughout all guests stays, and meet all other operational requirements for Home-sharing.
The Home-sharing Property may not be operated or managed by anyone other than the Owner. An apartment unit may not be a Home-sharing Property. A specific Home-sharing Application must be completed by the Owner of the Property. It will be reviewed and processed by the Department of Vacation Rental Compliance who will issue a registration certificate if approved. A new Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) number will also be issued that is specific to Home-sharing Properties.
See Resources section below for FAQs, forms and more information on Home-sharing.
City of Palm Springs
Office of Neighborhood Involvement
Vacation Rental / Event House Outreach Program
In order to improve communications between neighbors,
the City has established a call line, or 'hotline', if you need to register a complaint
about a vacation rental home or event house in your neighborhood.
The Vacation Rental Hotline Number is (760) 833-7988
In a non-emergency situation, such as a noise complaint,
we ask that you call this number instead of calling the police.
We invite your calls, but ask that you provide the address of
the property in question. Also, if the call is related to a disturbance,
it is important that you call during the event
so that we may respond in a timely manner.
Applying for a Vacation Rental Permit:
In order to establish a new vacation rental property, you must complete the following:
- Transient Occupancy Tax Permit, including for Home-sharing (a one-time $25 fee) -
Click Here for Application
- Homeowner Certificate Application (yearly fee of $900) - Click Here for Application
- Home-sharing Certificate Application (yearly fee of $225) - Click Here for Application
- Submit both applications, payment and a copy of a valid Government ID or Driver's License
- If your unit is subject to homeowner's association (HOA), you must provide approval letter from the HOA board of directors or HOA property management company stating you are not violating CC&R's by operating a short term vacation rental. Copies of CC&R's are not acceptable.
Please note there is a 45 day waiting period. Renting or advertising is prohibited.
Closing a Vacation Rental Permit:
In order to close a vacation rental property TOT permit and vacation rental certificate, the owner must complete the following:
- Owner Form to Close Permit and Vacation Rental Certificate - Click Here
Important Vacation Rental Information:
There is no outside amplified noise (i.e., music) allowed at any Short Term Vacation Rental property while being rented. It must be fully contained within the property at all times. Occupancy limits are based on the number of bedrooms at property. See below:
Property Management Agencies:
Please contact Amanda McWilliams (760) 323-8257.
- Letter Regarding Certificate Fee Increase (December 5, 2016)
- Vacation Rentals Municipal Code - currently in effect
- Notice Regarding Advertisements for Short Term Vacation Rentals
- Good Neighbor Brochure
- Palm Springs Disposal Service
- FAQ Short Term Vacation Rental
Transient Occupancy Tax Resources:
- Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) Municipal Code
- Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) Permit Application
- Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) Monthly Return Form
- Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) Information Sheet
Home-sharing Documents & Resources:
- FAQ - Home-sharing
- ADMIN REG - Home-sharing
- Home-sharing Fees Resolutions
- Home-sharing TOT Information Sheet
Vacation Rental Compliance Citation:
The City of Palm Springs contracts with Data Ticket, Inc., for management of Vacation Rental Compliance citations. For information on your administrative citation please contact the Citation Processing Center at the link below.
City of Palm Springs
Administrative Citation Program
P.O. Box 7275
Newport Beach, CA 92658-7275
1 (800) 969-6158
If you wish to appeal your administrative citation, you may download the appeal form here. You must pay the citation and file the appeal within 15 days of being served. Please return your completed appeal form to Data Ticket's Citation Processing Center as directed on the appeal form. Please do not return your appeal form to the City of Palm Springs. To use Data Ticket's online service you will need your citation number and citation date.
Vacation Rental Department Reports - Please click here
Amanda McWilliams - email@example.com (760) 323-8257
Boris Stark - firstname.lastname@example.org (760) 322-8370
Suzanne Severin - email@example.com (760) 322-8372