Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Last Update: 05/26/2020 11:04 AM

The City is exploring additional resources and measures to alleviate the pressure that you are facing as a Worker as a result of COVID-19. We will continue to post new details as they become available. Since this is a fluid situation, check back frequently and Follow us @CityofPS on Facebook, and Twitter for the latest updates.

Below are information and resources to help you during this challenging time.

Skip Ahead
Federal Resources
File for EDD Benefit Programs
Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (For independent contractors, sole proprietors, self employed and UI ineligible)
Restaurant Care Grant
Bartender Emergency Assistance Grant
Employment Resources
Government Self-Sufficiency Programs

Important Updates 

  • NEW Job-seekers may apply for Workforce Assistance Programs:  Riverside County residents who lost employment because of the coronavirus epidemic may receive up to $800 in job loss benefits thanks to a $252,000 state grant received by the Riverside County Workforce Development Division.  The funding will help provide supportive services for eligible jobseekers enrolled in the agency’s various workforce assistance programs.  For more information, call 951-955-9742 or send an email to  Press Release: Link Here.

  • NEW For help with Unemployment Claims:  Riverside County Workforce Development Centers can also assist with Employment Development Department (EDD) unemployment claims.  They can be reached at: 951-955-3100, or via Email.

  • NEW Applying for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA): EDD is now accepting online applications beginning today, Tuesday, April 28. This is a newly available emergency unemployment assistance program under the federal CARES Act.  If you are a business owner, independent contractor, self-employed worker, freelancer, or gig worker and only received a 1099 tax form last year, you are most likely eligible for PUA.  For more information on who is eligible visit the EDD's Benefits Guide here.  To apply for PUA visit the California EDD website here.

  • Applying for Unemployment Insurance Insurance (UI): Link Here.  For faster processing:

Federal Resources:

The U.S. Department of Labor has resources to help Employers and Workers prepare for the COVID-19 virus.  Guidance about Employer responsibilities, Employee rights and compensatory information is available online and/or call their toll free information and helpline, available 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., 1-866-4USWAGE (1-866-487-9243).

The CARES Act includes a new type of unemployment insurance for independent contractors, freelancers, self-employed workers and other people who typically do not qualify for standard unemployment coverage.

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) provides emergency support for workers who are left out of their state’s standard unemployment coverage, workers who have already exhausted those benefits or workers who are unable to work due to certain circumstances caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

The Paycheck Protection Program  is an SBA loan that helps businesses keeps their workforce employed during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis.   This program is for any small business with less than 500 employees (including sole proprietorships, independent contractors and self-employed persons).  SBA will forgive loans if all employees are kept on the payroll for eight weeks and the money is used for payroll, rent, mortgage interest, or utilities.  The Paycheck Protection Program will be available through June 30, 2020.  Click here for top-line program overview.  

State Resources:

  • The CA Employment Development Division provides a variety of support services to employees affected by COVID-19 in California. For the most up-to-date information, visit CA EDD’s resource page.

  • Restaurant Workers

California Restaurant Association Foundation strives on empowering California's current and future restaurant workforce. Through their Restaurant Care Grant they provide California restaurant employees with financial assistance during an unanticipated hardship such as: accident, illness, injury, death of an immediate family member or natural disaster.  Complete the grant application form online to apply for assistance.

  • Reduced Work Hours

If your employer has reduced your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you can file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim. UI provides partial wage replacement benefit payments to workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced, through no fault of their own.

  • Sick or Quarantined Workers

If you’re unable to work due to having or being exposed to COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional), you can file a Disability Insurance (DI) claim. DI provides short-term benefit payments to eligible workers who have a full or partial loss of wages due to a non-work-related illness, injury, or pregnancy.

  • Caregiving

If you’re unable to work because you are caring for an ill or quarantined family member with COVID-19 (certified by a medical professional), you can file a Paid Family Leave (PFL) claim. PFL provides up to six weeks of benefit payments.

  • School Closures

If your child’s school is closed, and you have to miss work to be there for them, you may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance benefits. Eligibility considerations include if you have no other care options and if you are unable to continue working your normal hours remotely. File an Unemployment Insurance claim and our EDD representatives will decide if you are eligible.

  • Health Care Coverage

Employers are required to maintain health care benefits if you take leave to care for yourself or your dependents under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or California Family Rights Act (CFRA). You should consult with your employer or union representative regarding health care coverage during a period of work reduction to see what additional benefits are available to you along with your existing coverage.

For those experiencing job loss, federal law generally requires Employers to offer employees and their families temporary extension of health care coverage, also known as COBRA. You may consult with your Employer regarding COBRA enrollment. Job loss may be a qualifying life event for enrollment in Covered California, which provides health care coverage to California residents at affordable and subsidized rates.

  • Self-Employed, Independent Contractors, Individuals Without Sufficient Work History, & Individuals Who Have Exhausted Their Unemployment Benefits 

Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) Program - This is a newly available emergency unemployment assistance program under the federal CARES Act.  PUA provides assistance for unemployed or partially unemployed individuals who are not eligible for regular unemployment insurance and who are unable or unavailable to work due to COVID-19 related circumstances. 

You can file a Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) claim through UI OnlineSM, just as you would for regular Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits. The program is accepting applications online as of April 28. The fastest way to apply for benefits is through UI OnlineSM. You can also apply for PUA by phone, mail, or fax.

For more information on who is eligible for visit PUA FAQs Webpage, Link Here. 

  • Tax Relief - State of California Franchise Tax Board

The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) announced special tax relief for California taxpayers affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.  Affected taxpayers are granted an extension to file 2019 California tax returns and make certain payments to July 15, 2020, for ALL tax filings and payments due between March 15, 2020, through July 15, 2020.  For more information, visit Franchise Tax Board Website

Local Resources:

For those seeking employment please click HERE to learn more about current job opportunities and resources available from Riverside County Workforce Development.

Riverside County residents who lost employment because of the coronavirus epidemic may receive up to $800 in financial assistance by enrolling in the county’s workforce assistance programs.  Financial support includes:

  • Housing assistance
  • Utility assistance
  • Telework equipment and internet access
  • Childcare assistance
  • Transportation assistance

In addition to supportive services, job seekers enrolled in the program will receive comprehensive workforce service which include: career coaching, paid training, on the job training and job placement. For more information on the supportive service program, please call 951-955-9742 or contact us via email at

Additional Resources:

USBG Foundation is a resource for the Bar Industry Community that provides the Bartender Emergency Assistance Program (BEAP) grant to qualified applicants who are bartenders, bar backs and bar servers who are in need of financial assistance as a result of a catastrophic event or an emergency hardship.    You do not need to be a USBG Member to apply for the grant.   For more information visit

The County of Riverside Department of Public Social Services Self-Sufficiency Division serves and supports individuals and families to achieve and sustain their health, well-being and economic independence.  Programs and services include:

Videos and Webinars

  • Businesses - How to Apply For An Emergency SBA Loan - Mayor Geoff Kors, the Palm Springs Chamber and the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) hosted a webinar on 3/30/20. This webinar provided helpful guidance on applying for emergency loans, including available funding, filing requirements and contact information for assistance: SBDC Power Point for Palm Springs Presentation

  • Workers - Online Virtual Worker Benefits Town Hall - The City of Palm Springs hosted a virtual town hall on April 9 focused primarily on workers benefits for those impacted by coronavirus.  Responses to the questions asked during the webinar are provided here: Link Here.