CED Banner 2014

Opening A Business

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Careful planning is fundamental to success.  We recommend you research the costs and other aspects involved in opening a business.  Review the "Tools for Business Success" section of the City's website.  The Tools for Business Success site has a wide range of resources designed to help you start and grow a business.

To obtain information about demographic reports and psychographic analyses click here for the Community & Economic Development Department and review the Publications and Reports section.  For real estate information click here for LoopNet for available retail, office, commercial or industrial sites.

Before opening a business, we recommend you contact the following City of Palm Springs Departments and other organizations to obtain the appropriate paperwork needed to open a business in Palm Springs.

Community & Economic Development Department

Planning Department

Business License Department

Building Department

Fire Department

Internal Revenue Service (Federal Tax ID Number)

Riverside County Clerk (Fictitious Business Name)

Riverside County Health Department (Restaurants)

Alcohol & Beverage Control (ABC)

State Board of Equalization (Seller's Permit)

State Contractor's License Board (Contractor's License)

Getting Started:

Make Contact with a Planning Department Professional
Provide the address of the site you are considering and get a zoning clearance. Different zones allow different business. You don’t want to sign a lease in a zone that doesn’t allow your type of business.

Pay your Business License Tax
You will do this after receiving a zoning clearance. Print an application from the City’s Business License Department.  You should budget anywhere between $300 to over $900, depending on the number of your employees.  Contractors and Professional Businesses are charged on a separate fee scale. Please contact a Business License Department Professional for a list of fees.

Zoning Sign-off
Once you pay your Business License you need to take it back to a Planning Department Professional and have it signed off.

Need a Sign?
A Planning Department Professional will be happy to assist you in determining your signage needs.

Sign permit fees can vary for multi-tenant complexes. A Planning Department Professional can provide more information if you are located in a multi-tenant complex.

Temporary Signs & Banners may be used only once, and only for 30 consecutive days.  A Planning Department Professional can provide more information.


Grease trap
If you need a grease trap, a Building Department Professional will be happy to help you with this process.

Outdoor seating
Requires a Land Use Permit (LUP); unless the restaurant you are leasing has an existing LUP that you may transfer.  A Planning Department Professional can provide more information.

Restaurants must also contact the Riverside County Health Department (RCHD) to obtain a list of their requirements and fees. RCHD approval is required for the building department to issue a permit.

Alcohol & Beverage Control (ABC) must be contacted if you wish to provide liquor in your restaurant.

Building Alterations & Expansions
Any time the exterior of a commercial building is altered on the outside or whenever a building is enlarged, the City requires Architectural Review. For more information on alterations and/or expansions, please contact a Planning Department Professional. A Minor Architectural approval is required for exterior alterations that do not add square footage to the building. An application is available on the City’s website.

We hope you find this information helpful in opening your business in the City of Palm Springs. Our mission is to assist in creating a positive experience in opening a business in our beautiful city. We wish you all the best – Welcome to Palm Springs!

“To identify & advocate quality economic development
in the greater Palm Springs Area”

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer